Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Preview of a Soundtrack to my Life



It was so hard to narrow down my iPod to a couple songs that sum up my life. There are 500 more songs that SHOULD be in this list, but obviously that would get boring to read. Each song is or can be connected to something or someone. I tried to pick a variety of songs that narrates variety of points to summarize my life.

Number one (not actually cause the song sucks) is “I Hate College” by Sam Adams. College has been so much fun so far. It is defiantly an experience to say the least from the work involved for classes to the parties to the incredible people met and incorporated into my “new” life. I also feel this song captures what everyone thinks college is going to be about before they get here, like drinking all the time and constantly having sex. But anyways, it’s about college so you have to love it.

“Raise A Little Hell” by Trooper is number two. It encourages me to go out be a hellion and switch my life around until I’m happy with it. Overall, it’s really an awesome song that tells its listeners to change stuff they don’t like, even if it causes a little bit of trouble. It all about sticking it to the man and standing up for what you believe in.

Number three, “Hell on Heels” by Pistol Annies, captures how girls can do what they want because of looks, intelligence, and manipulations. The combination is unstoppable, which is evident throughout society. This song really gives me motivation to go out and be a little home-wrecker. That sounds horrible, but that is the only word I can think so sum it up. It makes me feel devious. College can narrate the song because girls, especially pretty ones, get so many more perks then boys (not so much academically, but socially) that they obviously take advantage of.

“Meet Virginia” by Train talks about the girl who fights society and doesn’t care what people think. I WANT to be this girl. She has pressures to live up to her family’s expectations, but she would rather just live her life. It’s ironic that she wants to be someone else in the song, when others want to be just like her. Also, the hopeless romantic that I am noticed that Virginia has a boy that is completely in love with her, which would be nice as well.

After Pistol Annies and Train, “Dirty Little Secret” by the All American Reject can be applied to my life as well. This is going to sound superficial and somewhat shady, but I believe lives are fragile and keeping secrets is the best way to live life up to expectations. No one judges what you don’t want them to judge, unless the secret slips and then it turns into a regret rather than just an event in your life.

Finally “Red Dirt Road” by Brooks and Dunn is on my list because it reminds me of home. I am a small town country girl and going back for thanksgiving there were certain things that reminded me of things and events from my upbringing. The lyrics “there’s life at both ends of that red dirt road” has sort of helped me realize that my life is moving on, even though things are still happening there. It’s hard for me to put into words, but it’s life both past and present.

No comments:

Post a Comment